Timpson comes close in quarterfinals rematch

Bears run out of time but not out of determination

The Timpson Bears season has come to an end yet again in the State Semifinals. One year ago, the Shiner Comanches sent the Bears home on a 49-7 loss. The Bears showed much better against the reigning state champion Comanches this year. Late game heroics by sophomore quarterback Terry Bussey would keep the threat of a Bears’ come back alive until the very end. 

Timpson won the toss and elected to defer to the second half. The Shiner Comanches used their opening drive to set the tone for the entire game. Brothers Dalton and Doug Brooks have been the highly effective one-two punch that the Comanches have relied upon all year, and this night was no different. Junior Dalton Brooks provided speed from the halfback position while his 280-pound senior brother contributed mightily to the power running game from the fullback position. Shiner capped off their opening drive with a 12-yard touchdown pass. 

With 4:36 on the clock, Timpson’s offense took possession of the football. Bussey found classmate Vosky Howard for a pair of completions totaling 23-yards. Howard made his way across the goal line on a jet sweep tying the game up at seven with 1:25 left in the first quarter

With 8:31 left in the first half, Shiner’s Doug Brooks made his way into the endzone putting the Comanches up 14-7. They extended that lead by another score before the half. Timpson headed to the locker room trailing 21-7. 

Watching this game and fearing a similar second-half outcome to last year was in the making was easy at this point. Fortunately, however, Timpson had grown since the single score outing of last year and would not go down without a fight. 

Shiner was the first to score in the third quarter, extending their lead to 28-7. Then the momentum shifted. Bussey received the ensuing kickoff and proceeded to sprint past Shiner’s kicking team for a 100-yard kick return and a touchdown. The Bears attempted an onside kick but to no avail. Timpson’s defense was able to bottle up Shiner and force a turnover on downs with 2:38 left in the third quarter.

Bussey found targets Amare Bruton and Howard during the drive, but senior running back Braden Courtney ultimately banged the ball in from the one. With 9:08 left in the game, Timpson now trailed by only seven points. Shiner answered with a Dalton Brooks touchdown on the following drive. 

Bussey was not done yet, however, and broke away for a 40-yard touchdown rush to keep hope alive. 

With 2:45 left in the game, Timpson’s defense forced and recovered a Shiner fumble by Doug Brooks giving Timpson’s offense one last shot at overtime. Timpson was in trouble on a third-and-12 play, but the sophomore duo of Bussey and Howard connected to convert for a first down. The Bears’ hopes were dashed shortly thereafter, however, when Bussey was chased out of the pocket under heavy pressure and threw an interception that sealed the win for the Comanches. 

There will always be disappointment in coming so close to the end goal of a State Championship. However, Timpson proved themselves a true contender during this contest. Shiner has not seen a game of this caliber all year. It is very possible this game was the two best 2A Division I teams going head-to-head. 

Despite being on the losing side of the scoreboard, the Bears have every right and reason to keep their heads up.  


The Light and Champion

137 San Augustine St.
Center TX 75935