Timpson Bears win homecoming game over Big Sandy

Bears are on the road this week at West Sabine to complete non-district play

The Timpson Bears knew it would be a night to remember.

They took on the Big Sandy Wildcats on Friday for their homecoming game. As luck would have it, it just so happened to be Friday the 13th, and a full harvest moon. The Bears came out ready to strike fear into the hearts of their opponents and won, 43-31.

The start of the first quarter had Timpson trailing following a safety and then a touchdown by the Wildcats. The Bears were down by eight with less than two minutes remaining in the quarter.

As the clock ticked down, the Bears moved the ball into the red zone. With 1:42 on the clock, the coach called for a quarterback keeper. Quarterback Braden Courtney did not disappoint.

He crossed into the endzone putting up the first points for Timpson. The first quarter ended with Timpson trailing by one.

The second quarter was an offense shootout. It started out with Timpson taking the lead when Camden Foster rushed into the Bears endzone, adding six more points for Timpson giving them a 13-8 lead with 9:43 left in the half.

The Wildcats quickly added eight points of their own with 7:01 on the clock and took the lead again. Wasting no time, Braden Courtney scrambled for a 62-yard touchdown only thirty-nine seconds later.

This put Timpson on top again 20-16. The Bears’ defense held the Wildcats scoreless on their next possession. Then, with 1:59 left in the half, Courtney fought his way into the endzone again. The Bears went into the half leading 27-16.

Big Sandy made some adjustments during halftime. They were able to hold Timpson scoreless in the third quarter, while adding seven points to their score. This put the Wildcats within four points.

However, Timpson was on the move. They were able to get into scoring position in the Red Zone with only seconds remaining on the clock. The third quarter ended with Timpson leading 27-23.

The Bears started the fourth quarter by scoring with another quarterback keeper. Courtney crossed the goal line for another Timpson touchdown.

Trying to add to the lead, the coaching staff opted for a two-point conversion. Courtney kept the ball and fought his way in for two points. The Bears had Big Sandy rattled.

A booming kickoff by Chris Lewis pinned the Wildcats deep in their own territory. The Timpson defense came on strong and forced a fumble that was recovered by Bradley Young on the Bears four-yard line.

The Bears capitalized on this opportunity when Camden Foster ran in for his second touchdown. Da’Juan Tutt made it through on the two-point conversion adding two more points to the Bears’ total. Big Sandy scored with 7:45 in the game to put the final points on the board. Timpson was able to claim a homecoming victory. The final score was Timpson 43, Big Sandy 31

Speaking with Head Coach Kerry Therwhanger after the game he said, “We had some injuries, and it is still awfully hot and humid, but our kids did what they needed to do to get the W. I am proud of them”.

For photo gallery from Friday's game, please click on link below:


The Light and Champion

137 San Augustine St.
Center TX 75935