Timpson Bears defeat Garrison in Battle of the Attoyac, 7-0

Victory ends long drought on the field against Garrison

The Timpson Bears ended a decade long drought in the Battle of Attoyac this past Friday when they defeated the Garrison Bulldogs.

This long-time rivalry game has pitted players from both sides of the Attoyac River for many years. Prior to the matchup, it had been 13 years since Timpson claimed victory in this rivalry. The Bear football team showed up ready to play and would ultimately claim their first victory over Garrison in over a decade.

This year the match-up had a more somber note. Garrison senior Brandon Tenison lost his life this summer at Lake Murval. In his memory, both teams wore his number (34) on their helmets, acknowledging that while these teams battle at game-time, they still unite as a community.

The two teams met in the center of the field for the coin-toss. Garrison won the flip and elected to receive the second half.

Garrison lined up and kicked the ball off to the Bears. It was apparent from the beginning that this was going to be a defensive battle.

The Bulldogs shut down the Bears offense after they received the opening kickoff. In return, The Bears held the Bulldogs scoreless on their first possession and forced Garrison to punt. The Bears then quickly marched down the field. Timpson looked to score as they approached the end zone, however, a fumble by the Bears in the red zone gave Garrison possession again. The first quarter ended with both teams scoreless.

The second quarter had the Bears offense rallying again. Timpson marched down the field quickly approaching the end zone. It looked as if the Bears may score, however, the Bulldogs defense picked off the football on the Bears five-yard line with only 1:59 remaining in the half.

Both teams went into the locker room at halftime without any points on the board.

Timpson’s Chris Lewis kicked the football to the Bulldogs to start the second half. Garrison was looking to make up for lost time and aired out a pass on their first possession. Timpson’s Trey Davis read the play perfectly and intercepted the ball from the Bulldogs on the Garrison two-yard line.

Unfortunately, the Bears were unable to capitalize on the interception and were forced to punt the ball again. The Bulldogs had a series of successful first downs. The Bears defense stepped up the pressure, and with the Bulldogs in a third and nine situation, Garrison’s Chase Rodrigues aired one out to Jace Rucker.

Timpson’s Da’Juan Tutt did an excellent job of covering his man and was able to break the pass up. This forced Garrison to punt yet again. The Bears had one last possession in the third, but they were unable to score on the drive.

The Bulldogs had possession of the ball to start the fourth quarter. A bad snap put Garrison in a second-and-20 situation. The Bulldogs handed off to Sebastian Porter, but the Bears’ defense shut down the play for no gain.

Garrison called on Porter again, but he was only able to gain eight yards on third down. The Bulldogs punted to the Bears, and the Timpson offense went to work. On second and 10, with only 4:16 left in the ballgame, Timpson’s Braden Courtney completed a 43-yard pass to Samaj Kelly for the first touchdown on the night. Logan Depapa split the uprights to make the score Timpson 7, Garrison 0.

Garrison had one more drive. The Bears held the Bulldogs on the first set of downs, putting the Bulldogs in a third and 15.

However, a Bear penalty gave the Bulldogs a brand-new set of downs on Timpson’s 45-yard line. A bad snap and a failed pass had Garrison in another third-and-15 situation on the 50. Another failed pass, and Garrison was now in need of 15 yards on fourth down. Garrison completed a 32-yard pass to get well beyond the sticks.

With seconds on the clock, Garrison went to Porter again. This time the Bears stopped them 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

The Bulldogs fought to the wire in a fourth-and-two situation from the ten. Garrison needed at least a first down to stay alive. It all came down to one minute and seven seconds and one final play.

Porter lined up in the quarterback position, received the snap, and headed for the goal line. Porter was met by a host of Bears and was unsuccessful in obtaining the first down. Timpson lined up in victory formation and drained the clock.

The Bears are sure to be riding high after taking the win in the Battle of the Attoyac.

This week the Bears travel to Joaquin to take on the Rams at their homecoming with a 7:30 p.m.

For photo gallery from the Friday, Oct. 11, game please click on link below:



The Light and Champion

137 San Augustine St.
Center TX 75935