Timpson City Council Meeting, May 15
Notice is hereby given that a meeting of the governing body of the above named City will be held on the 15th day of May, 2018 at 5:30 pm. at the City Hall, 456 Jacob Street, Timpson, Texas, at which time the following subjects will be considered, to-wit:
- Call to Order:
- Pledge: United States Pledge, Texas Pledge: Honor the Texas Flag. I pledge allegiance
to thee, Texas, one state, under God, one, and indivisible.
- Chamber of Commerce: Marilyn Corder; Frontier Days request.
- Council Items: Reports by the members of the City Council on matters not on the
agenda will be made at this time. A total, not to exceed 10 minutes will be devoted
to these reports.
- Presentations & Recognition: On 5/20/18 Chief Graham will celebrate 8 years with
the Timpson Police Department.
The Mayor will present plaque to outgoing Councilmember Al Skinner, thanking him
for his service to the community.
- Citizens Input: This time is provided for members of the public to address the City
Council on items that appear within the Consent and Action Items or a matter not
listed on the agenda. Each speaker is limited to 3 minutes. A Citizens Input Form
may be filled out and filed with the City Secretary prior to the meeting.
- Agenda Item: Consider approval of the FY 2016-2017 AUDIT presented by Frank
9. Department Reports:
A. Public Works Report: Larry Burns
B. Police Department Report: Kent Graham
C. Municipal Court Report: For the month of April 2018, there were 32 citations
citations issued (LY-97), 35 violations (LY-108), 0 to juveniles and 2 to minors.
Total amount reported $9,397.49, the city’s portion at 55% is $5,168.62.
D. City Secretary: Leslie Leathers reporting that there will be a Memorial Day
Program at Park Plaza on Monday, May 28, 2018 presented by the American Legion
and Timpson ISD. Update Council on the bids for removal of tree in Woodlawn
We will also be setting dates to work with each department on their
upcoming budgets (10/1/18 – 9/30/2019). If Council members want to attend these
meetings I will need to set specific times on the Budget Workshop dates.
10. Election Items:
A. Canvass General Election May 5, 2018
B. Resolution 20180515-1, an Order declaring the canvassing of the City of Timpson
General Election, May 5, 2018.
C. Issue Certificates of Election for Council Member Teri Alexander, Council Member
Yvonne Ramsey and Mayor Debra Smith. Municipal Judge Marilyn Corder will
issue a certificate of election to each newly elected candidate and each candidate
will sign a Statement of Elected/Appointed Officer (Article XVI, section 1B of the
D. Issue Oaths of Office for Council Member Teri Alexander, Council Member
Yvonne Ramsey and Mayor Debra Smith by Municipal Judge Marilyn Corder.
E. Elect Mayor Pro-Tem to perform the mayor’s duties during the mayor’s incapacity
or absence. The mayor pro-tem is selected by majority vote of the council from
among its own membership. The mayor pro-tem’s term is for one year. The mayor
pro-tem retains the right to vote on all matters before the council (and not just to
break a tie) while performing the duties of mayor (Local Government Code Section
22.037 and 23.027).
11. Consent Agenda: Items included under the Consent Agenda require little or no
Deliberation by the Council. Approval of the Consent Agenda authorizes the
City Secretary to proceed with the conclusion of each item as reflected in the
Minutes of this meeting.
- Consider approval of the minutes of the regular meeting held on April 17th, 2018
- Consider approval of Financial Statement for the month of April, 2018
- Consider approval of Accounts Payable – Unpaid bills for April, 2018
REGULAR AGENDA ITEMS (12–13)
12. Discuss and possibly take action: Approval of bid for the sale of property,
Shelby County, et al vs. Frank Wilson, et al; 0.1722 acre, more or less out of
the John Foster Survey, Abstract 220 in the town of Timpson, Shelby County,
Texas (Acct. #11474). Bid on the property currently held by the Timpson
Independent School District, in trust, was received from Mario and Teresa Osby
for the amount of $1,500.00. The distribution will be as follows, Timpson ISD-
$315.60, City of Timpson-$78.64, Shelby Co-$119.76 and $986.00 in court costs.
*This property has gone to sale but no offers were made, the appraised value is
$6,290, back taxes owed total $7,336.62 (from 1988).
13. Discuss and possibly take action: (If needed) Appoint a councilmember to lead
June meeting. Mayor Smith and Councilman Johnson will both be absent due to a