Timpson Bears fall to San Augustine, 42-12 in first round of playoffs

Squad gets huge sendoff to playoff game

The Timpson Bears were geared up for the first round of playoffs. The community came out to show support for the Bears with a sendoff lead by the Timpson Volunteer Fire Department. The Bears left the school at 4:30 and were cheered on by fans who lined Bear Drive. Fans came out with bells, streamers, and even decorated their cars to declare their school spirit and support of the football team. After the buses left the school, they were greeted by another group of fans at Quick Stop on the corner of Highway 59.

Finally, when the Bears turned on to Highway 84 to head toward Henderson, the team was greeted again by a large group of fans who sported signs, bells, and train horns. The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office was represented by Adam Renfro, who also turned on the lights and sirens in support of the Timpson Bears. The community was showing strong support, and the players couldn’t wait until game time.

The players showed up to Lion Stadium and were greeted by a beautiful facility, complete with a jumbotron equipped with instant replay. Timpson won the toss and deferred to the second half. The Bears kicked off to San Augustine, and the game was on. Timpson won the toss and deferred to the second half, so the Wolves started the game on offense.

San Augustine finally turned the ball over on a fumble that was recovered by Timpson junior defensive tackle Zack Malloy. Timpson would be unable to capitalize on the possession, but they were sending the message that they were not going to be pushed around.

San Augustine took over on offense an began to drive down the field. This possession would also be stopped by the Bears’ defense. Sophomore linebacker Trey Keggler read the offensive play like a book and came up with an interception. Not only did Keggler intercept the ball, he returned it for a touchdown.

This pick-six would be the first recorded score of the game. The Bears were on top 6-0. The Wolves, however, were determined put points on the board themselves. They achieved this goal with only 3:40 remaining in the first quarter. The score was tied and remained that way through the end of the first quarter.

The Wolves began to gain momentum in the second quarter. San Augustine found the endzone with 9:13 in the first half. Trying to increase their lead, they went for a two-point conversion. The running back was met by senior defensive tackle Nicteao Scourton who stopped the play short of the goal line.

The Bears offense drove the football down the field but ended up giving the Wolves possession again with a turnover on downs. San Augustine was determined to score again before halftime. Trying to extend their lead, San Augustine tried to attack the defense with their passing game, but Trey Kegger shut the Wolves down with yet another interception.

Halfway through the game, the Bears trailed San Augustine by six.

The Bears returned to the field prepared to battle. They were set to receive the ball. Trey Davis was back deep for Timpson. Davis caught the ball and bolted down the field. The Wolves didn’t catch him until he was 12 yards away from the goal line.

This spectacular kickoff return gave Timpson excellent field position. Senior quarterback Jon Grogan took over on offense, and with 10:26 left to play in the third quarter, he completed a pass to freshman Camden Foster to tie the game at 12-12.

The tie didn’t last long however. San Augustine answered the Timpson touchdown with one of their own making the score 18-12, Wolves. Timpson was unable to come up with another touchdown before time expired in the third quarter.

San Augustine extended their lead in the fourth quarter by scoring with 9:08 remaining in the game, but the point after attempt was stopped by the Bears’ defense.

Freshman wide receiver Braden Courtney received the kickoff and returned the ball 75 yards to set up the Bears for the comeback.

However, it wasn’t meant to be. Timpson fought for all they were worth but were unable to score following the big return. San Augustine scored again with 6:27 left in the fourth making the score 32-12, Wolves. After taking over on offense, Timpson fumbled the football, and San Augustine recovered.

The Wolves would capitalize on this error. San Augustine scored again with only 3:22 left in the game. These were the final points scored in the game making the final score 40-12, San Augustine.

The Timpson Bears have every right to keep their heads up despite the loss. They were able to make the playoffs in what is arguably the toughest district in Texas 2A Division I football, according to many people.

Much of the action this year was highlighted by the senior class of 2019. This is a group that will be sorely missed, but Bear fans should keep an eye on those returning next year.

They will look to continue the winning tradition that the Timpson Bears football program has established over the past few years.

For photo gallery of scenes from the Friday, Nov. 16 Timpson Bears game, please click here:



The Light and Champion

137 San Augustine St.
Center TX 75935