Worksite wellness challenge kicks off Monday
AgriLife Extension and Chamber of Commerce Health & Fitness Committee to Kick Off Worksite Wellness Challenge
On Monday, September 10th, AgriLife Extension and Shelby County Chamber of Commerce Health & Fitness Committee will kick-off registration for the annual fall Walk Across Texas worksite wellness challenge.
Participating in this challenge is easy –
1. Recruit a team of up to eight people (fewer team members are permitted, but no more than 8 members per team) and select a team captain.
2. Team captains; stop by the Extension office and pick-up your team registration packet and have your team complete individual registration forms (forms can also be emailed to you).
3. Select your team t-shirt color and complete order form (team captain shirt is FREE; other members are $15 each).
4. Submit team registration packet to the Extension office no later than September 19th and entry fee of four cans of non-perishable food per person which will be given to the Shelby County Outreach Ministries food pantry.
5. Start walking and logging your steps or activity on September 24th! Each team member need only walk 2.5 miles or complete 20 minutes of physical activity each day. The goal is to walk at least 900 miles either as a team (the distance from Center to El Paso) in eight weeks. You can walk around the park, your neighborhood, at the gym, wherever your feet will take you to meet the goal. That’s only a little over 16 miles per week or 2.5 miles per day per eight-member team!
6. The Don’t Give Up Now event is scheduled for Saturday, October 6th in conjunction with the East Texas Poultry Festival CrossFit 5K Chicken Fun Run/Walk.
7. This 8-week challenge will wrap up on Friday, November 16th.
This challenge is open to the public, worksites, and both adult and youth. The Extension office is located at 266 Nacogdoches Street in Center and the office is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Deadline to register is Wednesday, September 19. All winners will be announced on November 26, 2018. Prizes will be given to the top three teams and top three walkers. So, form a team of 8, choose your team captain, register your team beginning September 10th and let’s walk on, Shelby County!
Shelby County Fit Walk Across Texas, sponsored by the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service and Shelby County Chamber of Commerce is a fun, flexible, and FREE way to encourage people to exercise. For more information, call Jheri-Lynn McSwain, CEA-FCH at Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service in Shelby County at 936-598-7744 or email at email@example.com.