SONIC Drive-In donates to local area teachers this Teacher Appreciation Month includes Mrs. Ann at Joaquin JHS
SONIC Drive-In donates to local area teachers this Teacher Appreciation Month
America's Drive-In thanked public school teachers by donating $1.5 million to requests for learning supplies across the country
OKLAHOMA CITY (May 25, 2021) - To honor the creative efforts teachers have made to maneuver their ever-shifting learning environments and keep students engaged this past year, SONIC® Drive-In donated $1.5 million to teacher requests on national education nonprofit site DonorsChoose on Teacher Appreciation Day, May 4. As part of SONIC's ongoing Limeades for Learning initiative, the $1.5 million donation helped fund more than 7,000 teacher requests across the country in need of critical resources.
"Teachers took this past year head-on, engineering a variety of innovative methods to keep their students learning in both in-person and virtual classrooms," said Lori Abou Habib, chief marketing officer for SONIC. "We express our gratitude to teachers like these, who create inspirational learning environments for students during a challenging time. With SONIC's $1.5 million donation match, we were able to help teachers access much-need supplies to successfully complete this school year."
On Teacher Appreciation Day, the brand matched 50 percent of each donation made to all teacher requests on DonorsChoose.
* In Chireno, Texas, one teacher from one school received a combined donation of $508.00 including:
- Ms. Sloane at Chireno School for the project Welcome Back
- Ms. Sloane at Chireno School for the project Finish Strong, Start Stronger
- Ms. Sloane at Chireno School for the project The Lost Art of Calligraphy
- Ms. Sloane at Chireno School for the project Brainstorming Big Time
- Ms. Sloane at Chireno School for the project Flexible Seating in the High School Classroom
* In Joaquin, Texas, one teacher from one school received a combined donation of $512.00 including:
- Mrs. Ann at Joaquin Junior High School for the project Cutting Up with Cricut and Creative Art through STEM
- Mrs. Ann at Joaquin Junior High School for the project TPT - Let's Get Digital!!
- Mrs. Ann at Joaquin Junior High School for the project Science Supplies
- Mrs. Ann at Joaquin Junior High School for the project Super Scientists Need Supplies!
SONIC is committed to helping teachers now in this time of need, and all year long. Through Limeades for Learning, SONIC has donated more than $19 million to public school teachers, helping more than 36,000 teachers and impacting nearly 7.4 million students in public schools nationwide since 2009. Visit LimeadesforLearning.com to learn about future funding opportunities and explore public school teacher requests in your community in need of support.
About SONIC® Drive-In
SONIC, founded in 1953, is the largest drive-in restaurant brand in the United States with more than 3,500 restaurants in 46 states. Served by SONIC's iconic Carhops, the restaurant's expansive, award-winning menu offers unique, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack and drink options for the whole family. SONIC is part of the Inspire Brands family of restaurants. For more information, visit SonicDriveIn.com and
DonorsChoose is the leading way to give to public schools. Since 2000, 4.7 million people and partners have contributed $1 billion to support nearly 2 million teacher requests for classroom resources and experiences. As the most trusted crowdfunding platform for teachers, donors, and district administrators alike, DonorsChoose vets each request, ships the funded resources directly to the classroom, and provides thank yous and reporting to donors and school leaders. Charity Navigator and GuideStar have awarded DonorsChoose, a 501(c)3 nonprofit, their highest ratings for transparency and accountability. For more information, visit www.donorschoose.org.