• To Submit Calendar Items
The Community Calendar is a brief, concise, free listing in the Light and Champion to inform readers of programs and special meetings that are nonprofit or community service events. The event should be open to the public and free to attend. For maximum exposure, information should be submitted two weeks prior to the event. Email the who, what, when and where, including a street address and a contact for more information. Calendar items are not taken on the phone to ensure accuracy. Email to email@example.com. Calendar information runs in date order as space is available.
- - - - - - - -
SATURDAY, APRIL 30
• Library Spring Book Sale
Library Spring Book Sale Thursday through Saturday, April 28-30 at Fannie Brown Booth Library. Hours Thursday 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. A variety of books and prices are low. Book donations are welcome (excluding textbooks and encyclopedias).
MONDAY, MAY 2
• Loyalty Day Observance
Shelby County Memorial Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8904 and the Auxiliary invite the public to join them at 10:00 a.m. the Veteran’s Memorial on the grounds of the 1885 Historic Courthouse in Center to reaffirm our allegiance to the United States of America and pay tribute to the heritage of American freedoms.
SATURDAY, MAY 7
• Sardis Cemetery Homecoming
The Sardis Cemetery Annual Homecoming and fish fry at 11:00 a.m. Catfish platters $10 per plate. Business meeting to follow fish fry. Come support the cemetery and enjoy the fellowship. Donations welcomed and needed. Building renovation donation account is also set up. Mail donations to Sardis Cemetery, 6034 FM 41, Center, TX 75935.
• Duncan Cemetery Meeting
The annual Duncan Cemetery meeting at 1:00 p.m. at the cemetery. Support checks can be mailed to Duncan Cemetery c/o Traci Parker Barrientos, 25514 Saddlebrook Way, Katy, TX 77494
THURSDAY, MAY 12
• Panola Night at SRTC
Returning to college or graduating senior, don’t miss this fun and informative night from 5-7 p.m.
From assistance with financial aid applications to getting help with career planning, tour Shelby Regional Training Center and meet Shelby County instructors. Shelby Regional Training Center, 678 Roughrider Drive, Center. 936-591-9075
SATURDAY, JULY 9
• ‘Purple Up’ Golf Tournament
Center Athletic Booster Club Fundraiser Golf Tournament at the Center Country Club. Proceeds support Center ISD athletic programs.
• NA/AA -We can help. Meetings Wednesdays and Saturdays 6:30 to 7:30 at St. John’s Episcopal Church, Highway 96 South across from High Rollers in Center.
Monthly - Third Monday
• Shelby County Veterans of Foreign War Post 8904 meets at the Post Home 617 Highway 96 North at 6:30 p.m. Prospective members welcome to sit in on the meeting. For more info call 936-332-0349.
Monthly – First Tuesday
• Christian Motorcyclists Association meets at T&R Steaks and More restaurant at 6:00 p.m. for greet, meet and eat. Business meeting from 7:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
Monthly – Second Tuesday
• Shelby County Cruisers car club business meeting 6:30 p.m. at TR’s Steaks and More, 892 Hurst Street in Center.
Monthly – Third Tuesday
• Shelby County Cruisers car club cruise night 5:30 p.m. in Center varies location. Whataburger on Hurst Street or the Sonic on Tenaha Street.
Monthly – Third Saturday
• Piney Woods Photographic Society meets 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. First United Methodist Church fellowship hall. Next meeting April 16.
Monthly – Second and Fourth Monday
• Center City Council meets at 5 p.m. in the council chambers at city hall.
Monthly – Second and Fourth Thursday
• Center ISD School Board meets at noon at the ISD administration building on Hwy 96 north.
Monthly –Commissioners Court
• Shelby County Commissioners Court meets Wednesdays at 9 a.m. at the Shelby County Courthouse.