Center First United Methodist Church awards $3,250 in Dollar-A-Week Campaign Grants
Center First United Methodist Church recently presented grant awards totaling $3,250 from their 2019 Dollar-A-Week Campaign to recipients representing community organizations and ongoing Center First UMC ministries.
Those receiving grant awards included:
• $500: F.L. Moffett for their Reading Recovery Program
• $500: Center Elementary for their Reading Recovery Program
• $500: Excelsior ISD for a Little Free Library to serve the school and the Akin Community
• $500: Edi Miller, Center High School Health Science Teacher to purchase an EKG machine
• $250: Janell Gibson, Elementary Reading Teacher for books for the Dyslexia program
• $250: Tracy Galindo, Center High School Teacher for classroom presentation materials
• $250: Ashley Wulf, Center High School to assist with student needs
• $250: Center First UMC Nursing Home Ministry for gifts for the nursing home residents
• $250: Center First UMC BINGO Ministry to purchase prizes for the participants.
About Center First UMC Dollar-A-Week Campaign
The Center First UMC Dollar-A-Week Campaign began in February 2017 with donations earmarked for awarding grants assisting our community in significant ways and allowing reachable goals for church ministries and organizations.
Have a passion for what hurts God’s heart in our community? Want seed money to kick-off a ministry that addresses that need? Know of an area non-profit organization in need? Know of a teacher that has a creative project that exceeds beyond the school budget?
Donations are collected throughout the year from $1 dollar bills placed in the church’s offering plate, and then individuals and groups in the church and in our community can apply to receive grants to be used to meet specific needs for their projects.
To date, approximately $4,000 has been collected and awarded in grants to community organizations and church ministries.
Dollar-A-Week grant submission guidelines and applications are available by contacting Rev. Karen Jones at Center First UMC (936) 598-2707 or visiting www.fumccentertx.org.