Kids' fishing tourney draws huge crowd despite threatening weather
The 41st Annual Center Broadcasting/Shelby County Bass Angler's Take A Kid Fishing Bream Tournament drew a crowd of young anglers to Toledo Bend Reservoir on Saturday, May 11.
The overall winner was Braxton Amy who had the largest single bream at 0.62 pounds and the overall heaviest stringer. His stringer weighed in at 2.63 pounds.
He received both of the $100 Kenneth Fulsom Memorial gift cards donated by the Shelby County Bass Anglers, totaling $200 in gift cards.
While rain and thunderstorms drenched the area prior to the event, the weather cleared enough to get some good fishing in, organizers said.
In addition to plenty of fishing, entertainment was provided courtesy of Badders Law Firm with the Captain Jay “The Pirate” Roundfellow Show.
Jason Coffel, aka Capt. Jay, provided an interactive performance with lots of laughs, stories, fun, and memories for everyone with balloon creations like pirate swords and parrots.
Participants were provided free hotdogs and drinks with each child entered in the tourney receiving a free rod and reel.
The winner for separate event for the Shelbyville Lions Club was announced at the kids fishing event. Beck Elliot was the winner of the club's boat raffle.
Age group results for the Take A Kid Fishing Tournament included:
Age Group 3-5:
• Largest Single Bream by Weight: .39 LB. , Tripp Sowell
• Smallest Fish by Length: 5.4 mm, Elijah Poindexter
• Heaviest Stringer by Weight:2.08 LB., Reese Geansonme
Age Group 6-10:
• Largest Single Bream by Weight: .62 LB., Braxton Amy
• Smallest Fish by Length: 5mm, Macie Mince
• Heaviest String by Weight: 2.63 LB., Braxton Amy
Age Group: 11-15
• Largest Single Bream by Weight: .41 LB. , Mason Cook
• Smallest Fish by Length: 9 mm, James Burns
• Heaviest String by Weight: 1.62 LB. , Detoris Hubbard
• Overall Largest Single Bream by Weight: .62 LB., Braxton Amy
• Overall Heaviest Stringer: 2.63 LB., Braxton Amy.
For photo gallery of the Saturday event shot by Justin Mott/Center Broadcasting, please click below: