COVID-19 Drive-thru Testing Site in Walmart Parking Lot May 14th
A COVID-19 drive-through testing site is opening Friday, May 15, in the Walmart parking lot located at 765 Hurst St., Center.
The site is supported by Walmart, eTrueNorth and state and local officials to test anyone who meets CDC and state and local guidelines on who should be tested, including first responders, health care providers and others with symptoms of COVID-19 and those in high risk groups without symptoms.
Jeff Martin, manager of Center's Walmart, said the testing is free but appointments need to be made in advance. The testing will be done between 7 a.m.,a nd 9 a.m., on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Martin said Shelby County was targeted for the special testing by the Texas Govenor's Office due to the high incident rate of COVID-19.
“We're still a hot spot,” he said. He estimated the testing could be provided for several weeks.
Those interested in being tested need to visit:
www.DoINeedaCOVID19test.com to see if eligible for testing and to make an appointment.
Martin said four to five pharmacy and store associates will be manning the drive-through site in the Walmart parking lot near the Murphy USA fueling area. Once individuals have scheduled a time, they just need to show up, show their confirmation number and provide identification.
The actual testing is self-administered by the individuals being tested with instructions from the trained Walmart associates.
“Walmart is part of the community, and we are proud to help support the expansion of COVID-19 testing in Shelby County during this unprecedented time,” said Laurie Smalling Letts, Walmart Public Affairs Director for Texas.
“We are grateful to our associates who keep our stores running, our pharmacists who support these testing sites, and to eTrueNorth and local officials as we work together to open the site and help our community.”
Details on the COVID-19 testing site:
• Beginning Friday, May 15, the site will be open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays weekly
• 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., weather permitting. Appointments must be made through eTrueNorth’s
online portal at www.DoINeedaCOVID19test.com, which will screen individuals to ensure they meet CDC eligibility for testing.
• For questions regarding testing, call 800-635-8611.
• Those being tested will need to wear a mask and stay in their cars for verification of eligibility criteria, ID check and self-administered test. For the safety of all those on-site, the test site is not available to those who walk up.
• The site will use a self-administered nasal swab test that will allow those being tested to swab their own nose onsite while in their vehicles, observed by a trained medical volunteer to ensure the sample is taken correctly, and then dropped in the sealed sample into a container on their way out of the drive-through site.
• eTrueNorth will handle processing test samples and communicating results to those tested and applicable Departments of Health.
• The site will be staffed by Walmart healthcare professionals
• Please note, testing is not available inside Walmart stores.
• While individuals who are tested are awaiting results, please follow CDC guidelines and take steps to help prevent the virus from spreading to people in your home and community.
For everyone’s safety and for the privacy of those being tested, media should not attempt to enter the testing site and stay in the designated media area.